Thursday Night football features two teams that are on different tracks but both looking to establish their identities. Both teams come in with good defenses capable of stopping teams, while the offenses are both questionable and inconsistent. The Panthers are actually rank number 2 in the league in points allowed and they are very hard to score on, while the Bucs have one of the top 5 rush defenses to help counter the Panthers stronger offense suit, which the run. The game is being played in Tampa and if you add that with the tough defenses and you might have a low scoring affair in this contest. This means that it might be wise to look elsewhere for fantasy points, but there will be some players that still get their projected or maybe better numbers this week. The following are the week 8 starts for the Thursday Night football game.
Thursday Night football starts for week 8 fantasy.
- Cam Newton – Although it should be a low scoring affair, the Bucs do give up about 250 passing yards and just under 100 rushing yards per game. Since Cam does both, he should still be able to get his projected points. Don’t expect much more over that. He’s looking at around 230 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, plus 35 rushing yards on 6 carries.
- Steve Smith – Cam has the throw to someone, and it’s usually Smith and Olsen. Look for Smith to get targeted in the end-zone as he has the reliable hands and sneaky routes to get open. Olsen is also a good play this week at TE, but not a top play. Look for Smith to near 80 yards in this game and 1 touchdown on 7 grabs.
- Vincent Jackson – He has been lights out for the past couple of weeks. With the Bucs having almost no chance of running the ball, they will be forced to throw and it’s going to be Vincent that benefits and should see some balls down the field to him. He could be inline for another 100 yard game with maybe 1 touchdown. The Panthers average just under 2 touchdowns per game so there won’t be a lot to go around, but expect Vincent to come up with it.
Players that would be good sit to for week 8 Thursday Night football.
- Deangelo Williams – On most weeks I would say start him, but not this one. The Bucs give up only 3.5 yards per carry on average and they have only given up 1 rushing touchdown on the year. Don’t expect much from this week and if you really need someone, then he would be a low-end flew or RB2 in deeper leagues. He is going to get some carries, but he isn’t going to get very far and probably won’t see pay dirt.
- Mikes James – The newly appointed back is going to have his work cut-out for him against a top 5 rushing defense. The Panthers can bring it as well and rank in the top 5 in rushes per game, rushing yards per game, and only 2 rushing touchdowns on the year. It would be wise to not play him this week if you don’t need him. He is going to get some carries, but not many yards either.
Other players to consider for deep leagues.
- Ted Ginn Jr – For leagues that give return yards, he would be a good option. He is averaging 25 yards per return and he is also getting involved in the offense. He could easily put up around 100 total yards on most weeks because of the combine returning and receiving yards.