Going into week 2 games, there were a quite bit of developments that were unexpected and surprising. The deactivation of Adrian Peterson, along with reports of a new drug policy, plus the on-going saga of the Rice situation. With so many distractions, it might be easy to forget the fact that there are some NFL football games to play this weekend and fantasy match-ups to win. For those that are not swayed by the recent events, there are plenty of good match-ups to pick some stud players for in week 2 to help your team get an edge. The following players are the First and Five for week 2, which are players that are looking to breakout and have a good fantasy week based on their match-up.
Top Running Back Starts for Week 2
- Arian Foster – He should be in for a big day. The Raiders gave up a league high 212 rushing yards last week to the Jets. With Foster running healthy and a decent pass defense for the boys in black, the Texans should find some room to run and Foster will lead the way. Bold prediction, 26 carries, 130 yards, 2 touchdowns.
- Chris Johnson – The Packers gave up over 200 yards on the ground last week and now will be facing the team that had the most rushing yards in week 1. Don’t expect the Packers to stop the run today and both Johnson and Ivory should be a solid play.
- Frank Gore – Old man river will be rolling down the stream today. He is facing a team that gave up nearly 200 yards on the ground last week. He should see plenty of daylight to give fantasy owners a great thrill.
- Giovanni Bernard – It’s a good chance he will see pay dirt today. Facing the team that has given a league-leading 3 rushing touchdowns in the first week, means he will likely see an opportunity or two today to do the same.
- Doug Martin – It’s hard not to like this match-up. The team he is facing is both near the bottom in rushing yards per game, and they should be able to get on this team and need to run the ball late. Martin should be in for a lot of carries today and could muscle out some serious yardage.
Top Wide Receiver Fantasy Starts for Week 2
- Brandin Cooks – This could be a huge week for this rookie. Got to love the match-up today in Cleavland as he faces a defense that gave up almost 400 yards passing in the first week. Their game will feature the two defenses that gave up the most passing yards last week. The ball will be flying in the air and with Haden covering Colston, Brees will most likely be looking at his young play-maker. Expect over 100 yards receiving today along with a ton of receptions.
- Andrew Hawkins – Huge waiver option play with this dude. He’s going to face the team that lead the NFL in week 1 for both the most receiving yards and touchdowns. With Brees putting up numbers, the Browns will have not choice but counter with more offense and that will come from Hawkins. Get him and play him if you need a solid flex.
- Donnie Avery – Great play this week facing the Broncos relentless offense. The Chiefs will need to keep putting up numbers and facing a team that gives up a lot of passing yards means that they will be throwing. The best option for them right now is underneath, which is Avery. Get him in the lineup.
- Jeremy Maclin – Any receiver in this offense should get some decent points, but facing a team that gave up 3 passing touchdowns in the first week means there could be some fantasy gold at the end of this rainbow. Expect some big shots down the field and it will most likely be going for this guy.
- Michael Floyd – He is clearly taking over for the aging Fitzgerald as the top receiver for the Cardinals. He leads the team in receptions, yards, and yards per catch, which makes him a solid WR2 option. This week he has a great match-up facing a defense that gave up over 300 yards in the air in week 1. Palmer is clearly going to throw the ball and most likely, the targets will be going to Floyd for the big plays.